Monday, March 29, 2010

Intel graphics card and 3D games (Regnum, HoN)

OS: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala
Kernel: 2.6.32-020632-generic
Date: March 29th, 2010


 Hey everyone I purchased my laptop a year back with following configuration:
 Model: Inspiron 1525
 CPU: Intel C2D 2.4 GHz
 RAM: 4GB 1333 MHz
 Pretty awesome huh? but here is a catch 
Graphics card: Intel X3100 (Intel 965 chipset)


Now even if I've state of the art processor and RAM I couldn't play few games like Heroes of Newerth (HoN), Regnum Online until now even though Alien Arena and compiz were working just fine. 
 Reason: Not pretty good implementation of 3D drivers either by intel or open source community (as they say in many discussions).
 However I managed to get them running (still Savage2 is exception :-/)
Here is what you need (I would say MUST) to do for your Intel graphics card
  • Open synaptic package manager or Software sources
  • System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package manager/ Software Sources
  • If you opened synaptic then Settings --> Repositories
  • Click on Other Software --> Add and input following apt line
  • ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
  • Add Source then Relaod
  • sudo apt-get update
 Now I'm enjoying pretty much everything which can be done on windows as far as 3D graphics for 965 (X3100) chipset goes.


EDIT[April 19th, 2010]: HoN gets stuck when hero moves to particular spot on map - near neutral creeps (my assumption as otherwise game runs properly)
 Regnum Online: After recent update characters seem to have lost cloths :P I'm waiting for edgers update to fix it. Other issue seems to be, game can't be exited properly and gets stuck on exit screen.

This solution was posted at http://forums.savage2.com/showthread.php?t=18339 (not exactly though)
Last checked March 29th, 2010

2 comments:

  1. I think you forgot to put

    sudo apt-get upgrade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for reply, I try to avoid using terminal. isn't 'sudo apt-get upgrade' equivalent to reload?
    Sorry I never gave much attention to terminal

    ReplyDelete