Sunday, May 24, 2009

Read - Write permissions for ext3 drive

OS: UBUNTU 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)
Kernel: 2.6.28-11-generic
Date: May 24th, 2009

Hello Everyone,
First thing: Wish you all happy holidays and bashful summer. Exams over :) Time to celebrate. :D
Now about todays post: I just upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04, removed Windows drive (boot) completely replaced it with opensolaris(with new boot), formatted my data drive completely changed it to ext3 from ntfs. So in all, did all kinda things with my poor HDD.
So in all this process it happened that the new data drive created - ext3 have only read privilege for me and read write privilege for root. The problem was obvious whenever I try to save something on disk it was error.
Here is just single command which will fix this issue:
  • sudo chmod 777 /path/to/mount/point
  • In my case sudo chmod 777 /media/workspace
Hope you will find this helpful
This solution was posted at: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-584850.html Last checked May 24th 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment