Thursday, March 26, 2009

Adding GPG key

OS: UBUNTU 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)
Kernel: 2.6.27-3-rt
Date: March 26th, 2009

Hey guys as I said in previous post I'm using upgraded Intrepid from Hardy, After upgrading I got too many error messages saying I need to add GPG key for repositories. I'm not sure for what purpose the key is required but it seems its for encrypted information about few packages.
So here is the way how you can add new GPG key to synaptic package manager

Suppose you get an error message saying:
W: GPG error: ......... : NO_PUBKEY $KEY (In my case $KEY = 43C0AFF0D7FAE680)

Here are two commands which may fix the issue:
  • gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys $KEY
In my case
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 43C0AFF0D7FAE680

Then you will see required key for particular repository is being imported (This one was for XBMC)

You need to export this key to apt (synaptic) with following command:
  • gpg --export --armor $KEY | sudo apt-key add -
In my case
gpg --export --armor 43C0AFF0D7FAE680 | sudo apt-key add -

And you are done adding key for that particular repositories. You may need to do the same procedure number of times for different repositories :)

This solution was posted at: http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1055420 (last check March 26th, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment