Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Installing RealVNC

OS: UBUNTU 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
Kernel: 2.6.24
Date: March 11th, 2009

Hi, I'm not sure how much important is it to get realvnc installed on your UBUNTU box, as there are too many remote desktop connection software available in UBUNTU.
I needed realvnc only because one of my lab at school is been setup using realvnc server. So while connecting (through realvnc) we don't need to give specific terminal number (just host name is fine) and we use to be directed to lowest loaded terminal, otherwise terminal number is must and at peek time there is good chance to have very slow connection.
The other thing is monitor size (Resolution) at school's terminal can't be matched with my laptop so while connecting we can specify to optimize connection for viewing at particular resolution.
e.g. :4 (specifies that we should be able to view host screen - 4:3 monitor compatible with widescreen monitors - Laptop)
So if any of you want to install realvnc for any reason you have then follow the steps and it should be working fine:
  • Download VNC Free Edition for Linux (x86) (gzip) from http://www.realvnc.com/products/download.html
  • Extract most probably to one of the directory in your home folder
  • If you directly want to invoke vncviewer instead of path-to-the-folder/vncviewer then issue following command (considering you are in the extracted folder in above step) to install vnc in your bin directory
  • sudo ./vncinstall /usr/local/bin
Hold on it won't work just now you will need libstdc++ to run it properly. I'm not sure what it does but its a dependency.
libstdc++ is not available in deb repositories so there is a problem. So here is what I did:
  • The version I used here was latest at that time please make sure to visit the link and get latest version.
  • Get libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm form
    http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html...libc6.2-2.so.3
  • I would suggest search for libstc++ rpm and get the latest package as of until there is no debian package. Keep the rpm file in a folder in home directory.
  • As you can see its rpm package to convert it to deb use alien as below:
  • sudo alien ./name-of-rpm (in my case sudo alien ./libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm)
  • You will have deb package just install it by double clicking.
  • I'm not sure whether we can use compact version of libstdc++.
OK so now you have realvnc installed and running on your system.
Just type vncviewer --fullcolor (I like fullcolor - looks better)
And then put the host name OR ip address and you are connected.

This solution was posted at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=930168 (last checked March 11th, 2009)

2 comments:

  1. thank you man had the same problem :-) - had problems finding the library in .deb and you really helped me :-) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. my pleasure :) I didn't know somebody actually started looking at my blog - Thanks to u as well

    ReplyDelete