Saturday, April 18, 2009

Games for UBUTNU

Hey Everyone,
I play games way too much, and when I shifted from Windows to Ubuntu one of the problems was games, I was restless without them. So here I made a list of few games which I liked along the way:

Strategy:
  • Battle for Wesnoth : This one would the best one out there. Have option of Single player as well as Multi player. Even storyline is quite good, with all neat and clean option until now this one is my most favorite game.
  • Travian: Web based multi player game. No need of any installation. Just open www.travian.com connect to your server and done, start playing, However this one needs patience and really good strategies. I started playing it few days back but couldn't yet figure out even survival strategies. But ya if you are good at planning and patience - more of a thinker type then give it a try, you will like it.
  • Freeciv: I'm not sure how the game is. I can't even get started, If anyone can help me I will love to know more about this game. Posted it here just because I hear it many times in the list of good games.
  • [EDIT May 7th 2009]Civony: One more to web based gaming and this one have better pace than travian and better feel of AOE type. Quests make us learn really well in initial stage, I'm building wall around my village with Archers on it for now :). I like about these games is they are all installation free (web based) and support Linux. Anyway if you are really patient one you may still find travian better.
FPS:
I don't think there will be a single soul around (at least a guy) who doesn't like counter strike or haven't played it even once, I was really disappointed when all my friends used to frag each other I was not able to enjoy it. So here is an open source alternative - maybe better and more realistic than CS
  • Urban Terror: Well if you get hit in your leg, your speed will be reduced. Getting hit by bullet will make you lose blood continuously. Well you got the idea pretty realistic and good one. I would say must try.
  • Tremulous: Well CS somehow marred the reputation of Quake but there are still players out there who love Quake, All of you may want to try Tremulous.
However both of these are online or at least LAN as of until now. I'm looking for way to add bots. Will post it if sometime get to know a proper working solution.

MMORPG:
Same goes for WOW (World of Warcraft). Its a damn good game I don't understand why don't these guys release Linux client, anyway its an online game so they will be still making money even with Linux client - I don't understand much so these comments are not important but thats what I think.
The point is if you want to play something equivalent.
  • aqworlds: Goto www.aqworlds.com register and start playing, flash based online game, no need of any installation and decent graphics and people are working on proper and good game play. Plus you get to play for free as well, obviously not as many options as members but that doesn't make you feel boring or having less fun. Obviously not as good as and as big as WOW but if you are in MMORPG then you may wanna give it a try.
Arcade:
  • Secrete Mayro Chronicles (SMC): Ya you guessed it right its our favrite mario in new improved look and few amazing implementations. One more must try. Nothing much to write just try it - you won't regret it for sure.
Then there is vdrift or race mania for racing. However I would say they are not much fun to play. One is too realistic - can't play. Second can't hold you to it but still if you wanna try them, then go on.

This list is completely personal however most of the people may like it .

[EDIT May 31st 2009] Now guys if anyone dare to say there are no games for linux/Ubuntu here is the answer http://www.penguspy.com/ They have very good listing as well as review system plus install feature where you don't need to adjust repositories or get a tarball and install -though an experimental feature but its good. :)

Happy gaming

No comments:

Post a Comment