Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Installing Xilinx in UBUNTU

OS: UBUNTU 8.04 (Hardy Heron) and UBUNTU 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)
Kernel: 2.6.24 amd 2.6.27-11-generic
Date: April 14th, 2009

Hi, I shifted from Windows to Ubuntu completely around 6 months back, till then I had dual boot just to take care of my programming editors, compilers etc. (Games is the other thing but not resolved completely yet :( ).
Anyway main thing is I used to use modelsim/Xilinx etc. and was a quite novice to try and use them or any of them in Ubuntu. However to my surprise Xilinx webpack installation is totally compatible with Ubuntu.
Here are few things you may want to take care though:
I would consider you have an iso image of webpack:
  • Mount iso image in home directory (otherwise installation won't be completed).
  • Run setup script on terminal.
  • I will consider you are using default path for installation (i.e. /opt/Xilinx/...) if not then remember/write down the path you are installing to.
  • After installation is complete issue following few commands to make it run with just a single command startise.
  • cp /opt/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/settings32.sh /usr/local/bin/startise (Instead of /opt/Xilinx.. you may want to use your installation directory path and ypu may even have something like /opt/Xilinx/settings.sh please see which way it works for you).
  • echo "export DISPLAY=:0" >> /usr/local/bin/startise
  • echo "exec ise" >> /usr/local/bin/startise
  • chmod +x /usr/local/bin/startise
  • Now you are ready with your little command startise. Just issue startise whenever you want to start the program.
According to post where it was posted it seems that for programming boards we need to run it with root privilege.

This solutions was posted at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=559245 (Last checked April 14th, 2009)

3 comments:

  1. I followed above procedure for xilinx 12.3 webpack but i got following error
    /usr/local/bin/startise: line 55: exec: ise: not found
    plz help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello...I got the same errors...but once I put the entire installation folder in my home directory it worked just fine.

    ReplyDelete