Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Installing and configuring GUI based firewall

OS: UBUNTU 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)
Kernel: 2.6.27-11-generic
Date: April 22nd, 2009

Hey,
I've been hearing all the time that Linux is much more secure and stuff and believe me I never have any problem as of until now and its been around 8 months without reinstallation.
However there used to be paranoia which don't let keep me sit still just like that. I knew Ubuntu firewall is quiet well however being completely GUI user, it was quite difficult for me to configure that firewall. So I went and searched a little bit and I was quite lucky to find GUI version of that so impresssive firewall, called gufw.
  • Just search for gufw in synaptics and install it otherwise use following command:
sudo apt-get install gufw
  • Just try it and it have really user friendly UI. If you are complete novice just tick
Deny incoming traffic
And you can relax
  • If you have some experience with configuring routers, gateways etc. I don't need to explain how to go around to make the firewall work for particular application.
Still if you have any doubt just put a comment will try to explain.
Enjoy secured browsing and connection.

And I don't remember where I found this solution, I give all the credit to the site where I found it If anyone come across some other sites please redirect me. I'll try to see if thats the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment